And we’re back at Tropicana Field again as the Tampa Bay Rays hit the home stretch of this forgettable 2016 season and open up their final homestand here in St. Petersburg. It’s just six games and starts with hosting the New York Yankees through Thursday. The Yankees have lost seven of their last eight, including a four-game sweep at Boston, while the Rays went 4-3 in seven games combined at Toronto and Baltimore, respectively.
Here are tonight’s lineups:
2B – Logan Forsythe
CF – Kevin Kiermaier
3B – Evan Longoria
1B – Brad Miller
LF – Corey Dickerson
RF – Mikie Mahtook
SS – Alexei Ramirez
DH – Richie Shaffer
C – Bobby Wilson
LF – Brett Gardner
RF – Aaron Hicks
C – Gary Sanchez
DH – Billy Butler
1B – Mark Teixeira
SS – Didi Gregorius
2B – Ronald Torreyes
3B – Donovan Solano
CF – Mason Williams
On the mound
Rays: LHP Drew Smyly (7-11, 4.98) will make his 29th start of the season tonight and is coming off his seventh win after pitching 5.2 innings vs. Toronto last Tuesday. Smyly is 5-0 in his last 10 starts, however, needed a bounce back after appearing in his shortest outing of the season: 3.2 innings vs. Baltimore on Sept. 7 when he gave up four runs on five hits. This season, Smyly is posting career highs in starts (28) and innings pitched (164.1).
Yankees: Michael Pineda (6-11, 4.94) will make his 30th start of the season and it comes on five days’ rest due to the off day Monday. Pineda has pitched less than five innings in his last three starts and is winless in his last seven. He is 0-1 with a 4.11 ERA in that stretch. Pineda last pitched Wednesday, throwing four scoreless innings in a loss to the Dodgers. Pineda has 184 strikeouts this season, the most by a Yankees righty since A.J. Burnett (195) in 2009.
Franklin nursing strain
On Monday, INF Nick Franklin underwent a MRI that showed he had a moderate strain in his left hamstring. With just 13 games remaining, the Rays have not indicated ending his season, but Franklin said prior to Tuesday’s game his hope is to play during the final weekend of the season and finish on a healthy note.
Souza, Morrison surgeries set
On Wednesday in Nashville, OF Steven Souza, Jr. will have season-ending surgery on his left hip and is set to be preformed by Dr. Thomas Bryd. Also Wednesday, 1B Logan Morrison is set to have season-ending surgery on his left wrist, performed by Dr. Tom Graham in Orlando.
Wednesday, 7:10 p.m.: RHP Alex Cobb (1-0, 3.06) vs. RHP Masahiro Tanaka (13-4, 2.97)
Thursday, 7:10 p.m.: LHP Blake Snell (5-8, 3.87) vs. RHP Luis Cessa (4-2, 4.44)
Follow Mike on Twitter.
- Despite the mood, first full squad workouts were a success February 19, 2018
- Rays acquire Cron, trade Odo, and DFA Dickerson on busy Saturday night. February 18, 2018
- Shots on shots, but Bolts drop a tough one to Jersey. February 17, 2018
- Should Dolph Ziggler Have Gone Back to WWE? February 16, 2018
- Stamkos, Kucherov and Hedman lead Bolts in 11th straight win against Detroit February 15, 2018
- Rays announce ticket specials for 2018 season February 15, 2018
- 2017 Bucs: The good, bad and ugly February 15, 2018
- Column: Drafting The Bucs 2018: TE February 14, 2018
- New faces, young guns shine as workouts begin in Port Charlotte. February 14, 2018
- Superstars are added to WWE Championship match at Fastlane February 13, 2018