Amidst the official announcement of the Ybor site for the potential new stadium, the Rays front office added a couple of pieces to spring training. RHP Sergio Romo was re-signed by the team, pending a physical, to a one-year, MLB deal. Romo, 34, came over from the Dodgers last July. While struggling in LA he thrived once traded to Tampa Bay. He appeared in 25 games for the Rays and pitched to a 1.47 ERA in 30.2 innings.
Long-time Jay returns to the East.
It was announced this evening that another arm had been added to the mix.
Former first-round pick of the Blue Jays, RHP Dustin McGowan, 35, was signed to a minor-league deal with an invite to spring training. Having spent the last two seasons in Miami, McGowan appeared in 63 games for the Marlins in ’17. A workhorse for the fish last season, he logged 77.2 innings over the course of those 63 games and finished with a 4.75 ERA.
The Rays 40-man roster is currently full even before signing Romo. A corresponding move will have to be made soon to make room.
With the signing of RP Sergio Romo, the #Rays now must make a 40-man move as the roster was full.
— The Scrum Sports (@TheScrumSports) February 9, 2018
- Big title wins at Elimination Chamber February 18, 2019
- Vasy passes Bish after second straight shutout February 16, 2019
- Elimination Chamber Preview Report February 15, 2019
- Lightning pile on the goals in Valentine’s Day massacre of Stars February 14, 2019
- Pitchers and catchers officially kick off spring training in Port Charlotte February 13, 2019
- An Elimination Chamber replacement and a gauntlet match to perfection. February 13, 2019
- Potential Cup Final match-up once again goes Lightning’s way February 12, 2019
- Youth and post-season were key topics at today’s spring press conference February 12, 2019
- The Queen and Top Guys shine on sensational Raw broadcast. February 11, 2019
- Domingue sets franchise record with tenth straight victory February 10, 2019