Amidst the official announcement of the Ybor site for the potential new stadium, the Rays front office added a couple of pieces to spring training. RHP Sergio Romo was re-signed by the team, pending a physical, to a one-year, MLB deal. Romo, 34, came over from the Dodgers last July. While struggling in LA he thrived once traded to Tampa Bay. He appeared in 25 games for the Rays and pitched to a 1.47 ERA in 30.2 innings.
Long-time Jay returns to the East.
It was announced this evening that another arm had been added to the mix.
Former first-round pick of the Blue Jays, RHP Dustin McGowan, 35, was signed to a minor-league deal with an invite to spring training. Having spent the last two seasons in Miami, McGowan appeared in 63 games for the Marlins in ’17. A workhorse for the fish last season, he logged 77.2 innings over the course of those 63 games and finished with a 4.75 ERA.
The Rays 40-man roster is currently full even before signing Romo. A corresponding move will have to be made soon to make room.
With the signing of RP Sergio Romo, the #Rays now must make a 40-man move as the roster was full.
— The Scrum Sports (@TheScrumSports) February 9, 2018
- Disappointing ending should mean fine-tuning, not major changes for Bolts May 26, 2018
- Rays send Colome, Span to Mariners May 25, 2018
- Despite the Rays’ record, Snell finding success at home May 24, 2018
- Holtby’s second straight shutout ends Lightning’s season in Game 7 May 24, 2018
- Price outduels Archer as Rays drop second straight to Sox May 23, 2018
- Nakamura reveals Money in the Bank match stipulation May 22, 2018
- Ronda Rousey and Nia Jax contract signing. Women’s MITB qualifing match. A Demon vs a Monster May 22, 2018
- Holtby and the Capitals shutout Lightning to force Game 7 May 21, 2018
- Have the Rays turned a corner at the right time? May 21, 2018
- Unlikely contributors have Lightning on brink of Stanley Cup Finals May 20, 2018