Blake Snell becomes the second pitcher in team history to win the prestigious award since David Price in 2012.
ST. PETERSBURG, FL – It wasn’t a complete surprise. When a pitcher dominates not just his league but every one of the playoff teams in his respective league, leads his league in wins and ERA, chances are he’s got a stellar shot at taking home a trophy in mid-November.
Tonight that nearly foregone conclusion became a reality.
Snell took him his first Cy Young award beating out Astros Justin Verlander and Indians Corey Kluber. Snell, in just his third full season at the MLB level, led the American League in wins (21) and ERA (1.89). He and Price are the only two pitchers to win the award in the AL East in 15 years.
Snell went 21-5 overall pitching in 31 starts in 2018.
At 25 years old, Snell is the youngest 21-game winner since Clayton Kershaw in 2011 and the AL’s youngest since Barry Zito back in 2002. In the “live ball” era (since 1920), only three other pitchers have matched Snell’s combination of wins and ERA at 25 years or younger.
Dominating the “big boys”
Of his 31 starts, 12 came against the AL post-season teams. In those starts, he went 9-2 with a 2.00 ERA.
Against former Cy Young winners he was a perfect 3-0 with a 0.59 ERA.
Tropicana Field became an even more dangerous place to play when Snell was on the hill. In 14 home starts, Snell went 10-1 with a microscopic 1.27 ERA – the lowest home ERA in the AL since 1972.
Snell made his first All Star game in 2018 and was named AL Pitcher of the Month in August and September.
Over parts of three seasons in MLB, Snell is 32-20 with a 2.95 ERA in 74 games.
- It’s Time to Climb a Ladder and Predict What’s in the Briefcase May 17, 2019
- Rays address catching needs, acquire Kratz from Giants May 16, 2019
- Last show before WWE’s MITB May 14, 2019
- It’s the Final Monday Before Money in the Bank! May 13, 2019
- Rays hold onto first thanks to Diaz’s big night v Yankees May 11, 2019
- Rays bend the knee to the Yankees, lose series opener 4-3 May 10, 2019
- Slowly Climbing the Ladder Toward Money in the Bank May 10, 2019
- Rays can’t complete the sweep, lose in extras May 8, 2019
- New Smackdown Live tag team champions crowned May 7, 2019
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers may be missing top pass rusher for 2019 season May 7, 2019