A long-time Tampa Bay Buccaneer shocked the football world Sunday night during the Pro Bowl, as John Lynch was named the San Francisco 49ers GM.
— Sports Illustrated (@SInow) January 30, 2017
John Lynch is used to being on the field in the Bay Area, and will now decide who will play in the Bay Area, only on the other side of the country. It was annoucced during the Pro Bowl that Lynch was hired to be the GM of the San Francisco 49ers on a six-year deal, per Adam Schefter. Lynch was with the Buccaneers for 11 seasons from 1993 through 2003, winning a Superbowl in ’02. He played 15 seasons in total, four of which were with the Broncos.
The Stanford man has the potential to be inducted into the Hall of Fame and be hired as a GM in the same season. He is one of the favored candidates going into the next Hall of Fame induction.
John Lynch is coming to a team fresh off a 2-14 season, that has the second pick in the NFL Draft, and the most cap space in the entire league. For a man who has never had a job in the front office, this could very well be a fun job for the ex-Buccaneer.
Lynch had been an analyst for NFL on FOX for several years, but had been linked to a few other front office jobs in the past.
Kyle Shanahan, the favorite to become the 49ers new head coach, and currently the offensive coordinator for the Atlanta Falcons, had a conversion with Lynch, talking about the new job. Although Shanahan still has the Superbowl to coach, it looks like he may be the next coach of the San Francisco 49ers.
There are now five ex-NFL players as active GM’s, Ozzie Newsome, John Dorsey, Ted Thompson, John Elway and now John Lynch.
- REPORT: Carlos Gomez inks one-year deal with Rays February 21, 2018
- Owens and Zayn plan to steal WWE Championship at Fastlane February 20, 2018
- Point and Kucherov dazzle as Lightning hold off Capitals in DC February 20, 2018
- Rays send Souza Jr. to D-Backs in three-way trade February 20, 2018
- Buccaneers release Doug Martin February 20, 2018
- Elimination Chamber preview. Gauntlet match! Mr Monday Night! February 20, 2018
- Despite the mood, first full squad workouts were a success February 19, 2018
- Rays acquire Cron, trade Odo, and DFA Dickerson on busy Saturday night. February 18, 2018
- Shots on shots, but Bolts drop a tough one to Jersey. February 17, 2018
- Should Dolph Ziggler Have Gone Back to WWE? February 16, 2018