With the 2017 Home Run Derby a couple weeks away, who should challenge Miami’s slugger?
Giancarlo Stanton hits a lot of home runs. In fact, when he hits those home runs, chances are they’re leaving the ballpark. Last July, the Miami Marlins masher crushed 20 home runs in the finals of the Home Run Derby to claim his first crown. His bombs traveled a total of 27,187 feet…or over five miles.
On Sunday, Stanton announced he will be defend his title this year on home turf, as the 2017 Home Run Derby and All Star Game come to Marlins Park.
— MLB (@MLB) June 25, 2017
Can anyone dethrone Giancarlo?
Who could possibly step up and challenge for the title this year after the dominance shown by Stanton a year ago?
Here’s who I feel will likely head to the Derby and give the title a real threat.
- Aaron Judge (NYY) – He has to be number one on any list. The Yankees rookie has hit 26 bombs already this year and every last one of them rivals a Stanton dinger in distance.
- Cody Bellinger (LAD) – Yes, another rookie could very well give Stanton a run. He hit a home run in ten-straight games and has 24 on the season already.
- Marcell Ozuna (MIA) – Could his own teammate take him down? Ozuna has hit 20 home runs in 2017 following 23 jacks all of last year.
- Logan Morrison (TB) – Not likely he takes down Stanton. However like Ozuna, he’s on pace to destroy his career-high (23) with 22 homers already in 2017.
- Joey Votto (CIN) – Another big bat on pace to eclipse his career-high in dingers. Votto sits at 20 home runs through 74 games. His career-best is 37 set back in 2010. He’s never been in a Derby but has said recently he’d be open to participating this year.
- George Springer (HOU) – Had a career-high 29 home runs in 2016, has 22 through 71 games this season for the first-place ‘Stros.
- Bryce Harper (WAS) – Reached the Derby finals in 2013 when the old format was in place. Has 19 so far in 2017 and will no doubt be in Miami on the NL roster.
- Khris Davis (OAK) – Hit 42 home runs last season and has connected on 19 in 2017 so far.
Honorable mention: Jay Bruce (NYM), Corey Dickerson (TB)
The 2017 Home Run Derby takes place on July 11 from Marlins Park in Miami.
- NJPW/ROH Honor Rising Results, Trent Baretta Injury Report, Are Impact Wrestlers Behind on Getting Paid and Tommy Dreamer in Lucha Undergound? February 25, 2018
- Bautista might find his way to Tampa February 25, 2018
- Lightning take shootout in Montreal, sweep three-game road trip February 24, 2018
- Rays open the spring 2-0 after split-squad sweep February 23, 2018
- UFC Fight Night Emmett vs Stephens February 23, 2018
- Pirates come to Port Charlotte to kick off exhibition baseball February 23, 2018
- Lightning, Domingue hold on for victory over Senators February 22, 2018
- Column: Drafting The Bucs 2018: LB February 22, 2018
- Dickerson heads to Pirates for RHP Hudson and prospect, Gray February 22, 2018
- REPORT: Carlos Gomez inks one-year deal with Rays February 21, 2018