Special teams doom Lightning as they lose a key division match-up to Bruins, 3-0.
When you’re the 26th worst penalty kill unit in the NHL – chances are an opponent is going to take advantage of that. The Boston Bruins did just that Saturday night at Amalie Arena. Tuukka Rask was sharp saving all 23 shots faced by the Bolts who were out-shot 12-5 in the first period and finished out-shot 27-23 for the game.
Boston got the scoring started. David Pastrnak would put his 28th of the season past Andrei Vasilevskiy early and put the Bruins up 1-0.
Penalty kill is a killer
At 10:54 of the first period, Steven Stamkos would head to the box for interference. The Bruins would pounce early in the power play. David Backes put Boston up 2-0 just 13 seconds into the penalty kill. He would later leave the game in the second period with a laceration on his knee requiring stitches.
Another power play chance, another power play goal for the Bruins in the third period. Riley Nash put his 14th in the back of the net assisted by Rick Nash. That would be the icing on the cake and eventually the final score.
The Lightning had their chances with a man advantage. They wound up finishing the night 0-for-3. The Bruins finished 2-for-3 on the evening.
The win pulls Boston to within just two points of the Bolts for first place in the Atlantic.
It’s a back-to-back weekend for the Bolts as they welcome in Edmonton tomorrow at 5:00 PM EST.
- Tables and Ladders and Chairs and WWE Week on USA! December 14, 2018
- Quick-strike scoring rolls Maple Leafs in Vasilevskiy’s return December 13, 2018
- Rays send Bauers to Indians for Diaz and Sulser December 13, 2018
- Rays to sign former Astro, Charlie Morton December 13, 2018
- The Derrick Henry Dilemma: Fantasy Football’s Current Conundrum December 13, 2018
- The final stop for WWE’s TLC PPV December 11, 2018
- Stamkos’s night of milestones drives Lightning to 7th straight victory December 10, 2018
- Intercontinental Title TLC Match Headlines Raw December 10, 2018
- Crashing The Net: Lightning’s current winning streak built on offense and timely saves December 9, 2018
- It’s A Mixed Bag of Notes From All Of WWE This Week December 7, 2018