Special teams doom Lightning as they lose a key division match-up to Bruins, 3-0.
When you’re the 26th worst penalty kill unit in the NHL – chances are an opponent is going to take advantage of that. The Boston Bruins did just that Saturday night at Amalie Arena. Tuukka Rask was sharp saving all 23 shots faced by the Bolts who were out-shot 12-5 in the first period and finished out-shot 27-23 for the game.
Boston got the scoring started. David Pastrnak would put his 28th of the season past Andrei Vasilevskiy early and put the Bruins up 1-0.
Penalty kill is a killer
At 10:54 of the first period, Steven Stamkos would head to the box for interference. The Bruins would pounce early in the power play. David Backes put Boston up 2-0 just 13 seconds into the penalty kill. He would later leave the game in the second period with a laceration on his knee requiring stitches.
Another power play chance, another power play goal for the Bruins in the third period. Riley Nash put his 14th in the back of the net assisted by Rick Nash. That would be the icing on the cake and eventually the final score.
The Lightning had their chances with a man advantage. They wound up finishing the night 0-for-3. The Bruins finished 2-for-3 on the evening.
The win pulls Boston to within just two points of the Bolts for first place in the Atlantic.
It’s a back-to-back weekend for the Bolts as they welcome in Edmonton tomorrow at 5:00 PM EST.
- Fitzpatrick Falls Back to Earth as Steelers Beat Bucs September 24, 2018
- Potential cracks in the Shield lead to compelling main event on Raw. September 24, 2018
- Home stand will close out 2018 for the Rays September 24, 2018
- Say Hello, Waive Goodbye: Week 4 September 24, 2018
- Lightning cut roster by 25 heading into preseason’s final week September 23, 2018
- Shake Ups to the Weekly Schedule and Another New Special Event Are the Highlights this Week September 21, 2018
- Rays make final call-ups as playoff push gets tighter September 20, 2018
- Top 8 televised singles champions of 2018 September 19, 2018
- Bank On or Bench: Week 3 September 19, 2018
- Sluggish effort drags down Lightning in preseason opener September 18, 2018