ESPN is reporting this afternoon that the Bucs have decided to shut down QB Jameis Winston.
Yesterday, Trevor Grout mentioned in an article that Jameis Winston is a warrior and a great leader, which are all true, but the article also went on to say that the coaching staff should be the ones to step up and make the decision to shut Winston down. Today, it looks like they made that decision.
This really isn’t that much of surprise. Winston re-injured his shoulder in the 2nd Quarter of yesterday’s game against the Saints. Bucs’ Head Coach, Dirk Koetter, said the team made the decision after Winston underwent an MRI on Monday.
Winston has been dealing with this AC Joint injury for the last three weeks, so it makes sense for the team to give him some rest. Tampa will now turn to backup QB Ryan Fitzpatrick. Fitzpatrick has been serviceable in his spot duty so far this season. He will be making the start this Sunday against another of his former teams in the New York Jets.
One possible silver lining to Tampa shutting down Winston is, maybe the turnovers will cease. Due to his injury, Winston had been turning the ball over at an alarming rate. Fitzpatrick is prone to making his share of mistakes as well, but the rate at which the quarterback was turning over the ball should drop.
Don’t be surprised if the Bucs end up shutting Winston down for the rest of the season if their losing streak continues.
It would make little sense to bring back your starting quarterback and risk further injury and/or damage to his shoulder for a lost season. If the Bucs are thinking about bringing him back this season however, you would have to look at their next divisional match-up against the Atlanta Falcons, in Atlanta, on Thanksgiving weekend (November 26th) as his possible return date.
- REPORT: Carlos Gomez inks one-year deal with Rays February 21, 2018
- Owens and Zayn plan to steal WWE Championship at Fastlane February 20, 2018
- Point and Kucherov dazzle as Lightning hold off Capitals in DC February 20, 2018
- Rays send Souza Jr. to D-Backs in three-way trade February 20, 2018
- Buccaneers release Doug Martin February 20, 2018
- Elimination Chamber preview. Gauntlet match! Mr Monday Night! February 20, 2018
- Despite the mood, first full squad workouts were a success February 19, 2018
- Rays acquire Cron, trade Odo, and DFA Dickerson on busy Saturday night. February 18, 2018
- Shots on shots, but Bolts drop a tough one to Jersey. February 17, 2018
- Should Dolph Ziggler Have Gone Back to WWE? February 16, 2018