The hottest pro wrestling character in 2016 may soon come back as Monday Night Raw alluded to the return of the “Broken” gimmick with ‘Woken’ Matt Hardy.
But how can World Wrestling Entertainment utilize a gimmick that Impact Wrestling, along with parent company Anthem Sports & Entertainment, claims ownership of? This will be less difficult than one would expect, apparently.
Impact Wrestling recently announced that they would be reworking their talent contracts. Anthem President Ed Nordholm recently spoke with Sports Illustrated and explained this in detail. Anthem/Impact will allow talent departing from the company to keep using their gimmick. This also includes gimmicks created by Impact. Whether this is a good will gesture, or the company trying to save face after how the entire debacle surrounding how discussion over the ownership of the Broken gimmick was handled, we’ll never know. But the news couldn’t come soon enough.
Matt Hardy was floundering in WWE. Ever since Jeff Hardy went out with an injury, creative has not known what to do with Matt. His loss last week to Bray Wyatt seemed to hint at Matt hitting rock bottom…or did it? As Wyatt made his way back to the locker room, a despondent Matt seemingly snapped, then started his trademark “DELETE” chant and hand gestures. My reaction to this was as intense as the thousands in attendance. Matt Hardy’s Twitter handle also recently changed to ‘Woken’ Matt Hardy. This is an intriguing turn of events.
WWE is in desperate need of big name CHARACTERS on the roster. The Broken Matt gimmick helped Impact Wrestling’s ratings increase, in some cases by nearly four times. We can only imagine what he will do for WWE ratings wise. Also, Hardy seems to be prepping for a prolonged feud with Bray Wyatt. Bray has been in a slump for at least two years now due to bad booking and writing. Hopefully, this will be the spark that ignites a memorable feud and a storyline that can help out several superstars on the roster.
Are you as stoked for the return of Broken Matt Hardy as we are? Let us know your thoughts.
- REPORT: Carlos Gomez inks one-year deal with Rays February 21, 2018
- Owens and Zayn plan to steal WWE Championship at Fastlane February 20, 2018
- Point and Kucherov dazzle as Lightning hold off Capitals in DC February 20, 2018
- Rays send Souza Jr. to D-Backs in three-way trade February 20, 2018
- Buccaneers release Doug Martin February 20, 2018
- Elimination Chamber preview. Gauntlet match! Mr Monday Night! February 20, 2018
- Despite the mood, first full squad workouts were a success February 19, 2018
- Rays acquire Cron, trade Odo, and DFA Dickerson on busy Saturday night. February 18, 2018
- Shots on shots, but Bolts drop a tough one to Jersey. February 17, 2018
- Should Dolph Ziggler Have Gone Back to WWE? February 16, 2018