Some diehard wrestling fans have October 2nd marked on their calendars. That date marks the biggest show of the year for TNA Wrestling, its Bound for Glory pay-per-view event. There are several huge matches on the card, the world title match between challenger Ethan Carter III and champion Bobby Lashley, being quite noteworthy. This night will also see five-time Knockouts Champion, Gail Kim, be inducted into the TNA Hall of Fame. The company has seen a major upswing as far as work rate of the wrestlers and writing/booking of the creative team is concerned. So it’s disconcerting that the one area that has been plaguing TNA for quite some time, their financials, may cause their marquee event of 2016 to not take place.
As reported by Dave Meltzer on Wrestling Observer Radio, the company is still in dire need of funds for not only the Bound for Glory event, but the next few TV tapings of the weekly Impact Wrestling show. Though Dixie Carter is still majority shareholder, TNA President Billy Corgan is attempting to purchase the company. But, no deal seems to be locked in and financing will be needed within the next 48 hours for the show to run on Sunday.
The problems are compounded by the fact that it’s heavily rumored that World Wrestling Entertainment has shown interest in purchasing the company. If they were to purchase it, it’s highly likely; they would do so only to own the tape library, as that added content on the WWE Network would likely see a slight bump in its subscription base. However, it is highly doubtful that they’d continue with the company or sign much of the talent there outside of a few top stars. In essence, TNA would probably cease to exist.
With fan perception of the company starting to turn for the better and the locker room seemingly behind Corgan for a purchase, here’s hoping that a deal can get done and done quickly. One less wrestling promotion to compete with the biggest dog in the yard (WWE) is definitely not what’s best for business.
- NJPW/ROH Honor Rising Results, Trent Baretta Injury Report, Are Impact Wrestlers Behind on Getting Paid and Tommy Dreamer in Lucha Undergound? February 25, 2018
- Bautista might find his way to Tampa February 25, 2018
- Lightning take shootout in Montreal, sweep three-game road trip February 24, 2018
- Rays open the spring 2-0 after split-squad sweep February 23, 2018
- UFC Fight Night Emmett vs Stephens February 23, 2018
- Pirates come to Port Charlotte to kick off exhibition baseball February 23, 2018
- Lightning, Domingue hold on for victory over Senators February 22, 2018
- Column: Drafting The Bucs 2018: LB February 22, 2018
- Dickerson heads to Pirates for RHP Hudson and prospect, Gray February 22, 2018
- REPORT: Carlos Gomez inks one-year deal with Rays February 21, 2018