Steven Souza Jr does what he’s never done before – Rays haven’t done since 2014.
The Tampa Bay Rays lost the first two games of the three-game set against Milwaukee. In the series finale runs were, once again, at a premium.
Short Supply of Runs
The Rays entered Sunday’s contest having been shut-out in each of the first two games of the series. In fact, the last runs they scored were off the bat of Steven Souza Jr, on Thursday.
A stretch of 20 scoreless-innings.
Good News / Bad News
It didn’t take long for the Rays to end that drought. Wilson Ramos gave Tampa Bay an early 1-0 lead in the second inning. However, the run was not courtesy of a hit. With the bases loaded and nobody out, Ramos grounded into 6-4-3 double play, scoring Logan Morrison.
Perhaps the biggest cause for the clubs’ inability to score runs has been the performance with runners in scoring position. In the two games leading to Sunday, Tampa Bay failed to record a hit once runners reached second or third.
Souza to the Rescue
Having made his major-league debut on April 13, 2014 – Steven Souza Jr was merely adjusting to the big-leagues the last time the Rays had a walk-off home run.
- Sean Rodriguez was the last player to provide the Rays with such a feat – on May 22, 2014
- The Rays have played 277 home games since then.
- Drought more than two years longer than any other team.
- Baltimore Orioles have 14 walk-off bombs and there has been 228 throughout MLB.
- The Philadelphia Phillies now hold the record for longest drought. Ryan Howard hit the last Phillies walk-off on April 29, 2016.
Quality Start for Archer
Lost in the shuffle of today’s game was the fact that Chris Archer had another quality start. Archer went six innings allowing just three hits, one run, while striking out seven.
— Tampa Bay Rays (@RaysBaseball) August 6, 2017
- Rays acquire Cron, trade Odo, and DFA Dickerson on busy Saturday night. February 18, 2018
- Shots on shots, but Bolts drop a tough one to Jersey. February 17, 2018
- Should Dolph Ziggler Have Gone Back to WWE? February 16, 2018
- Stamkos, Kucherov and Hedman lead Bolts in 11th straight win against Detroit February 15, 2018
- Rays announce ticket specials for 2018 season February 15, 2018
- 2017 Bucs: The good, bad and ugly February 15, 2018
- Column: Drafting The Bucs 2018: TE February 14, 2018
- New faces, young guns shine as workouts begin in Port Charlotte. February 14, 2018
- Superstars are added to WWE Championship match at Fastlane February 13, 2018
- Lightning’s special teams not so special in loss to Sabres February 13, 2018