Cash says Rays will likely stick with four-man rotation in 2018.
It’s very unconventional. Almost an “old school approach to a MLB rotation. It was announced by Rays skipper, Kevin Cash today, that beyond the originally planned four-man rotation through mid-May they just may stick with it indefinitely.
“It goes back over to the different looks to the lineups,” Cash said. “If we have a core group of guys who are capable of three, four-inning outings then we’re gonna shorten their looks and bring another guy in. We’re gonna try to take first six weeks and have a better idea.”
— The Scrum Sports (@TheScrumSports) March 7, 2018
The starting four will be RHP Chris Archer, LHP Blake Snell, RHP Jake Faria, and RHP Nathan Eovaldi – in no official order as of yet. Archer will get the Opening Day nod. Beyond that – it’s anyone’s guess.
Gomez gets a start
Newly signed RF Carlos Gomez makes his spring training debut today against the Orioles in Port Charlotte.
“It’s pretty impressive what he’s done since he’s gotten here,” Cash said. “He’s already pretty acclimated to the clubhouse. Definitely excited to see him play.”
Gomez is also looking forward to getting back to work with his new team.
“I was looking for a job,” he said this week. “It’s a challenge. They (Rays) have a lot of young guys. I like to help.”
Second base still up for grabs
With INF Ryan Schimpf traded off to the Braves, it makes the competition at second base a bit tighter. Micah Johnson, who has gotten reps in the outfield more lately, will get some extra looks at second going forward. Johnson has had quite the start to the spring both in the field and at the plate. He’s hitting .333/.467/.500 in six games.
Beckham, Orioles head to Port Charlotte
Former Ray, Tim Beckham, and the Baltimore Orioles are in town today. Snell makes his third start of the spring having gone two innings in each of his first two.
Cash’s lineup today against RHP Mike Wright, Jr. will be:
First pitch is slated for 1:05 from Charlotte Sports Park.
- Samoa Joe makes a chilling visit to the Styles residence on Smackdown Live September 25, 2018
- Lightning unable to hold third period lead in loss to Panthers September 25, 2018
- Fitzpatrick Falls Back to Earth as Steelers Beat Bucs September 24, 2018
- Potential cracks in the Shield lead to compelling main event on Raw. September 24, 2018
- Home stand will close out 2018 for the Rays September 24, 2018
- Say Hello, Waive Goodbye: Week 4 September 24, 2018
- Lightning cut roster by 25 heading into preseason’s final week September 23, 2018
- Shake Ups to the Weekly Schedule and Another New Special Event Are the Highlights this Week September 21, 2018
- Rays make final call-ups as playoff push gets tighter September 20, 2018
- Top 8 televised singles champions of 2018 September 19, 2018