Cash says Rays will likely stick with four-man rotation in 2018.
It’s very unconventional. Almost an “old school approach to a MLB rotation. It was announced by Rays skipper, Kevin Cash today, that beyond the originally planned four-man rotation through mid-May they just may stick with it indefinitely.
“It goes back over to the different looks to the lineups,” Cash said. “If we have a core group of guys who are capable of three, four-inning outings then we’re gonna shorten their looks and bring another guy in. We’re gonna try to take first six weeks and have a better idea.”
— The Scrum Sports (@TheScrumSports) March 7, 2018
The starting four will be RHP Chris Archer, LHP Blake Snell, RHP Jake Faria, and RHP Nathan Eovaldi – in no official order as of yet. Archer will get the Opening Day nod. Beyond that – it’s anyone’s guess.
Gomez gets a start
Newly signed RF Carlos Gomez makes his spring training debut today against the Orioles in Port Charlotte.
“It’s pretty impressive what he’s done since he’s gotten here,” Cash said. “He’s already pretty acclimated to the clubhouse. Definitely excited to see him play.”
Gomez is also looking forward to getting back to work with his new team.
“I was looking for a job,” he said this week. “It’s a challenge. They (Rays) have a lot of young guys. I like to help.”
Second base still up for grabs
With INF Ryan Schimpf traded off to the Braves, it makes the competition at second base a bit tighter. Micah Johnson, who has gotten reps in the outfield more lately, will get some extra looks at second going forward. Johnson has had quite the start to the spring both in the field and at the plate. He’s hitting .333/.467/.500 in six games.
Beckham, Orioles head to Port Charlotte
Former Ray, Tim Beckham, and the Baltimore Orioles are in town today. Snell makes his third start of the spring having gone two innings in each of his first two.
Cash’s lineup today against RHP Mike Wright, Jr. will be:
First pitch is slated for 1:05 from Charlotte Sports Park.
- Tables and Ladders and Chairs and WWE Week on USA! December 14, 2018
- Quick-strike scoring rolls Maple Leafs in Vasilevskiy’s return December 13, 2018
- Rays send Bauers to Indians for Diaz and Sulser December 13, 2018
- Rays to sign former Astro, Charlie Morton December 13, 2018
- The Derrick Henry Dilemma: Fantasy Football’s Current Conundrum December 13, 2018
- The final stop for WWE’s TLC PPV December 11, 2018
- Stamkos’s night of milestones drives Lightning to 7th straight victory December 10, 2018
- Intercontinental Title TLC Match Headlines Raw December 10, 2018
- Crashing The Net: Lightning’s current winning streak built on offense and timely saves December 9, 2018
- It’s A Mixed Bag of Notes From All Of WWE This Week December 7, 2018