Lefty is optioned to Durham after rough start to 2017
After what can officially be deemed a sophomore slump, the Tampa Bay Rays have finally sent left-handed pitcher Blake Snell down to AAA Durham. Snell (0-4, 4.71), took the loss in Boston Saturday after being pulled two outs into the sixth. He has had constant struggles with walks and overall command of his pitches. In 19 games last season, he gave up just five home runs. Through eight starts in ’17, he’s already given up six long balls.
Only once in his eight starts has he gone six innings…and that was his first start of the season in early April.
Last year, Tampa Bay fans made a lot of noise hoping to bring the 24-year-old Snell into rotation, and rejoiced after he logged a 3.54 ERA through nineteen starts. What a difference a year makes. The overwhelming majority of fans in 2017 have been clamoring for him to be sent down. Some feel he may have been rushed to MLB. Right-handed reliever Ryne Stanek was the corresponding move. Erasmo Ramirez will take Snell’s place in the rotation for
#Rays will call up RHP Ryne Stanek to join bullpen
— Marc Topkin (@TBTimes_Rays) May 13, 2017
Stanek, 25, was drafted in the first round by Tampa Bay in 2013. In 14 games with Durham this season, Stanek is 1-0 with a 2.00 ERA. He’s pitched in 18 innings and wracked up 25 strikeouts. For a good portion of his minor league career, Stanek was a rotation pitcher. The Rays plan to use him out of the bullpen.
Scrum Sports Digital Director, Mary Holt, contributed to this article.
- NJPW/ROH Honor Rising Results, Trent Baretta Injury Report, Are Impact Wrestlers Behind on Getting Paid and Tommy Dreamer in Lucha Undergound? February 25, 2018
- Bautista might find his way to Tampa February 25, 2018
- Lightning take shootout in Montreal, sweep three-game road trip February 24, 2018
- Rays open the spring 2-0 after split-squad sweep February 23, 2018
- UFC Fight Night Emmett vs Stephens February 23, 2018
- Pirates come to Port Charlotte to kick off exhibition baseball February 23, 2018
- Lightning, Domingue hold on for victory over Senators February 22, 2018
- Column: Drafting The Bucs 2018: LB February 22, 2018
- Dickerson heads to Pirates for RHP Hudson and prospect, Gray February 22, 2018
- REPORT: Carlos Gomez inks one-year deal with Rays February 21, 2018