First move of the Winter Meetings for Rays could compete for a starting role.
ORLANDO, FL – It’s not the blockbuster trade that has the Hot Stove rumor mill buzzing. However, the Rays did help themselves on Monday by adding some infield depth. Joey Wendle, 27, was acquired from the Oakland Athletics for the ‘ol “player to be named later” or cash considerations.
#Rays add Joey Wendle from A’s – He was designated for assignment by the A’s on December 7. He spent most of last season with Triple-A Nashville
— Kris Dunn (@KRSDunn) December 11, 2017
Wendle played in 36 games for Oakland from 2016-2017 all at second base. He’s hit a modest .266/.305/.339 (29-for-109). Last season he batted .285/.327/.429 (136-for-478) with 29 doubles, eight triples, eight home runs, 54 RBI and 13 stolen bases in 118 games.
Originally a sixth round pick of the Indians in 2012, Wendle could compete for the starting second base job if the Rays part ways with Brad Miller. In typical Rays fashion they went in on a guy with plenty of control. Wendle isn’t due for arbitration until 2021 and is not a free agent until 2024.
Daniel Robertson and Willy Adames will also play into the competition for the fourth spot in the infield.
For those of you keeping track…there are 63 days until pitchers and catchers report to Port Charlotte.
- Blake Snell will join Cash, Ramos in D.C. after all July 13, 2018
- A Moderately Extreme PPV is Set for this Weekend July 13, 2018
- Adames sent down ahead of All Star break, Rays recall Hu July 12, 2018
- Rays keep rollin’ with sweep of Tigers July 11, 2018
- Extreme Rules promises compelling Smackdown Live matches July 10, 2018
- Rays unveil new ballpark design for Ybor City site July 10, 2018
- BREAKING: Kucherov signs eight-year extension July 10, 2018
- Roman Reigns dives into a fight! Seth Rollins fights Drew McIntyre for stipulations at Extreme Rules. July 10, 2018
- Struggles from the mound, but Rays walk-off Tigers July 10, 2018
- Rays’ Ramos elected to All-Star squad; Snell snubbed July 9, 2018