On Saturday, the Rays made their signing of OF Carlos Gomez official.
As reported a couple weeks back, the always outspoken and sometimes controversial two-time all star looks to finally get some work in with his new team sooner than later. The deal is a one-year contract at $4M for 2018 with $500,000 in incentives and a $500,000 trade bonus.
Gómez, 32, hit .255/.340/.462 (94-for-368) with 23 doubles, 17 home runs, 51 RBI and 13 stolen bases in 105 games for the Texas Rangers last season. Since the start of the 2013 season, no other player in the majors can match his combination of 89 home runs and 122 stolen bases.
To make room on the 40-man…
INF Ryan Schimpf was designated for assignment. The 29-year old acquired from the Padres back in December had been a part of a crowded competition for an infield spot on the MLB roster this spring. In five grapefruit league games, he didn’t have a hit in 14 at-bats while seeing time at second, third, and the outfield.
Starters working their way back
Three key pieces to the Opening Day roster could be back in the lineup early this week. 3B Matt Duffy (back), SS Adeiny Hechavarria (hamstring), and 1B Brad Miller (toe) are likely to be back for Tuesday’s game against the Red Sox in Port Charlotte.
- The “next man up” might not be such a bad thing for Bucs June 22, 2018
- Goodbyes Are the Theme of Money in the Bank Fallout June 22, 2018
- Hedman wins first Norris Trophy June 20, 2018
- Wendle has been a pleasant surprise among Rays rookies June 20, 2018
- What looms for WWE overseas? June 20, 2018
- Smackdown Live gauntlet match decides WWE Championship challenger June 19, 2018
- BREAKING: WWE releases Big Cass June 19, 2018
- Kurt Angle losses control of Raw. So does Ronda Rousey. The follow up show for MITB. June 19, 2018
- Kiermaier makes his return in Houston in time to finish off road trip June 18, 2018
- Chicago bears witness to opportunities seized at Money In The Bank. June 17, 2018