The news broke on Friday before the Tampa Bay Rays took on the Houston Astros out in Houston that they would be releasing oft-injured OF Desmond Jennings come Saturday. Jennings, 29, has been with the Rays since 2010. He was drafted in the 10th round of the amateur draft back in 2006 by the then Devil Rays and made his debut with the Rays back on September 1, 2010 against the Blue Jays.
For his career, Jennings has played in 567 games for the Rays amassing a .245 career avg to go along with 55 HR, 191 RBI, and 95 stolen bases in 7 years with the team. Jennings never played more than 139 games in any season and over the last two years has played in just 93 games combined dealing with constant injuries.
In 2016, Jennings has played in just 65 games with a .200 avg and 7 HR, 20 RBI, and just two stolen bases.
The team made it official on their Twitter account (@RaysBaseball) before the 8:10 PM game v the Astros on Friday evening.
- REPORT: Carlos Gomez inks one-year deal with Rays February 21, 2018
- Owens and Zayn plan to steal WWE Championship at Fastlane February 20, 2018
- Point and Kucherov dazzle as Lightning hold off Capitals in DC February 20, 2018
- Rays send Souza Jr. to D-Backs in three-way trade February 20, 2018
- Buccaneers release Doug Martin February 20, 2018
- Elimination Chamber preview. Gauntlet match! Mr Monday Night! February 20, 2018
- Despite the mood, first full squad workouts were a success February 19, 2018
- Rays acquire Cron, trade Odo, and DFA Dickerson on busy Saturday night. February 18, 2018
- Shots on shots, but Bolts drop a tough one to Jersey. February 17, 2018
- Should Dolph Ziggler Have Gone Back to WWE? February 16, 2018