Kevin Kiermaier is a confident dude. Winning back to back Gold Gloves in just your third season in Major League Baseball will do that to you. On Tuesday night, the 26-year old centerfielder did just that beating out Red Sox Jackie Bradley Jr and Blue Jays Kevin Pillar for the award.
“The Outlaw” as he’s been aptly named, also saw an uptick in his offensive numbers in 2016, especially in the second half of the season when he settled in nicely behind Logan Forsythe in the two-hole of the every day lineup. But winning his second piece of defensive hardware puts him in elite company alongside teammate Evan Longoria as just the second player in Rays (or Devil Rays) history to not only win two Gold Gloves but win them in consecutive years. Longoria accomplished it back in 2009 and 2010.
“The scary thing is – he keeps finding ways to get better,” Kevin Cash said of his centerfielder.
With 75 percent of what goes into voting for Gold Glove winners coming from coaches and managers who aren’t allowed to vote for players nominated on their own team – the award means that much more.
“The coaches and managers throughout the game, along with the other 25 percent of the SABRmetrics data backed me up enough to win this for a second year in a row,” Kiermaier said. He also went on to say that he was hoping the games he missed because of injury would not come back to hurt his chances of winning.
He’s just that good.
“I know I’m the best centerfielder in the game,” Kiermaier said. “And I don’t even think it’s close, to be honest.”
Pretty hard to argue that, Kevin.
So we won’t.
We’re just glad you roam centerfield for the good guys.
Information and quotes in this article are per raysbaseball.com and Bill Chastain.
- Despite the mood, first full squad workouts were a success February 19, 2018
- Rays acquire Cron, trade Odo, and DFA Dickerson on busy Saturday night. February 18, 2018
- Shots on shots, but Bolts drop a tough one to Jersey. February 17, 2018
- Should Dolph Ziggler Have Gone Back to WWE? February 16, 2018
- Stamkos, Kucherov and Hedman lead Bolts in 11th straight win against Detroit February 15, 2018
- Rays announce ticket specials for 2018 season February 15, 2018
- 2017 Bucs: The good, bad and ugly February 15, 2018
- Column: Drafting The Bucs 2018: TE February 14, 2018
- New faces, young guns shine as workouts begin in Port Charlotte. February 14, 2018
- Superstars are added to WWE Championship match at Fastlane February 13, 2018