Welcome, folks. The Tampa Bay Rays host the San Diego Padres for an matinee matchup looking for the three-game sweep of the All-Star Game hosts. On Tuesday night, the Rays hit five homers in a 15-1 romp over the Padres. Here are the lineups for this afternoon:
Nick Frankin – 2B
Kevin Kiermaier – CF
Evan Longoria – 3B
Brad Miller – 1B
Mikie Mahtook – LF
Logan Morrison – DH
Steven Souza, Jr. – RF
Tim Beckham – SS
Bobby Wilson – C
Travis Jankowski – CF
Wil Myers – RF
Yangervis Solarte – 3B
Alex Dickerson – DH
Ryan Schimpf – LF
Christian Bethancourt – C
Brett Wallace – 1B
Alexei Ramirez – SS
Nick Noonan – 2B
On the mound
Padres: Christian Friedrich (4-8) gets the nod today, his 17th start of the season for the 28-year-old lefty. Friedrich has a 4.84 ERA and last pitched Aug. 11 against Pittsburgh, which tagged him for a loss after pitching 6 innings and allowing four runs on nine hits and a walk. The Padres are 7-9 in his 16 starts this season and given him a 5.46 run-support average.
Rays: Chris Archer (6-16) makes his 26th start of the season and last pitched Friday vs. the New York Yankees for Alex Rodriguez’s last game with the team. Archer allowed five runs, including an RBI double to A-Rod in the third inning. His 16 losses lead the major league and are two more than former Ray and White Sox starter James Shields. Archer’s 2016 ERA is 4.39, however, it is 7.92 in the first inning and then 3.65 after that. Archer leads the league with 177 strikeouts. Archer is just 2-8 at Tropicana Field this season.
Duffy, Forsythe nursing injuries
Rays second baseman Logan Forsythe and shortstop Matt Duffy were both out of the lineup for Wednesday to deal with injuries.
Forsythe was scratched shortly before Tuesday’s game with back spasms, while Duffy exited after three innings with soreness in his left Achilles, an injury that recently had him return from the DL.
Rays manager Kevin Cash was “not too concerned” with either injury and both players could return to the lineup Friday after a day off Thursday.
Follow Mike on Twitter.
- REPORT: Carlos Gomez inks one-year deal with Rays February 21, 2018
- Owens and Zayn plan to steal WWE Championship at Fastlane February 20, 2018
- Point and Kucherov dazzle as Lightning hold off Capitals in DC February 20, 2018
- Rays send Souza Jr. to D-Backs in three-way trade February 20, 2018
- Buccaneers release Doug Martin February 20, 2018
- Elimination Chamber preview. Gauntlet match! Mr Monday Night! February 20, 2018
- Despite the mood, first full squad workouts were a success February 19, 2018
- Rays acquire Cron, trade Odo, and DFA Dickerson on busy Saturday night. February 18, 2018
- Shots on shots, but Bolts drop a tough one to Jersey. February 17, 2018
- Should Dolph Ziggler Have Gone Back to WWE? February 16, 2018