Double-digits in the hit column help Rays clip the Blue Jays.
After falling to the Blue Jays in three-of-four games last week, Tampa Bay welcomed the boys from the north to Tropicana Field.
Despite a rough beginning, Chris Archer (9-7; 3.76) settled in over the next half-dozen innings. The offense came alive for 12 hits, scoring six runs, and the Rays defeated the Jays 6-5 on Tuesday.
Last week we saw Josh Donaldson get to Archer for two home runs, that was not the case tonight.
Leadoff HR for Nori Aoki
The amount of time it takes for Bartolo Colon to trot around the bases.
It didn’t take long for the Blue Jays to get on the board.
The 93 mph fastball from Archer was left over the middle of the plate and Aoki didn’t miss it. The 21st home run allowed by Archer this season is the sixth lead-off homer of Aoki’s career.
— Blue Jays (@BlueJays) August 22, 2017
Chris with a K
For the 27th time in his career, the Rays’ starter collected at least 10 strikeouts. It was the 11th time in six seasons that he’s collected double-digit strikeouts while going six innings or less. The last time he did that was on July 27 against the Yankees.
Donaldson was Archer’s most frequent target. The third baseman struck out in each of his first three plate appearances. Miguel Montero and Justin Smoak accounted for an additional two apiece.
Over his last seven outings Archer has collected 61 punch-outs.
After the game, his skipper spoke about his ability to rack up strikeouts.
Donaldson’s Hat Trick
Archer now has two starts in his career that he has fanned Donaldson three times. The last time he did it was on June 23, 2015. It’s the fourth time that Rays pitching has struck him out three times in a game.
The only other individual pitcher to collect all three – Jake Odorizzi on April 5, 2016.
Wednesday: RHP Austin Pruitt (6-4; 5.37) vs RHP Marcus Stroman (11-6; 2.99)
Thursday: RHP Alex Cobb (9-8; 3.80) vs LHP J.A. Happ (6-9; 3.90)
- Disappointing ending should mean fine-tuning, not major changes for Bolts May 26, 2018
- Rays send Colome, Span to Mariners May 25, 2018
- Despite the Rays’ record, Snell finding success at home May 24, 2018
- Holtby’s second straight shutout ends Lightning’s season in Game 7 May 24, 2018
- Price outduels Archer as Rays drop second straight to Sox May 23, 2018
- Nakamura reveals Money in the Bank match stipulation May 22, 2018
- Ronda Rousey and Nia Jax contract signing. Women’s MITB qualifing match. A Demon vs a Monster May 22, 2018
- Holtby and the Capitals shutout Lightning to force Game 7 May 21, 2018
- Have the Rays turned a corner at the right time? May 21, 2018
- Unlikely contributors have Lightning on brink of Stanley Cup Finals May 20, 2018