Adam Schefter reported late Wednesday that the San Diego Chargers are set to move to Los Angeles. The franchise is leaving the San Diego area without delivering a championship through 55 years, although they did have an pre-merger, AFL championship.
A stunner: Chargers plan to announce as early as Thursday they are moving to LA, ending 55-year stint with SD, league sources tell ESPN.
— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) January 12, 2017
The team had until Jan. 17th to decide whether to relocate or not, but are set to announce the news publicly as early as Thursday.
Philip Rivers has made it clear he would not be for a move to LA.
Philip Rivers on his past comments about potential relocation to LA:
"It's not a disdain for LA… it's more of a love for San Diego."
— XTRA 1360 (@XTRA1360) January 2, 2017
The franchise QB is signed until 2019 and has been about some trade talks throughout the many rumors. Although it’s not likely, some teams in need for a man under center may be ringing the Chargers phone.
This will be the second NFL team in two years to move to “the City of Angels”, following the move of the St. Louis Rams in January of 2016.
The Rams played their 2016 home games in the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum, but broke ground on a new stadium in Inglewood, California back in November.
While there’s no word of where the Chargers will play their home games, a possible location would be the StubHub Center, home to the future MLS team, Los Angeles FC, and is located roughly 10 miles south of downtown Los Angeles.
- REPORT: Carlos Gomez inks one-year deal with Rays February 21, 2018
- Owens and Zayn plan to steal WWE Championship at Fastlane February 20, 2018
- Point and Kucherov dazzle as Lightning hold off Capitals in DC February 20, 2018
- Rays send Souza Jr. to D-Backs in three-way trade February 20, 2018
- Buccaneers release Doug Martin February 20, 2018
- Elimination Chamber preview. Gauntlet match! Mr Monday Night! February 20, 2018
- Despite the mood, first full squad workouts were a success February 19, 2018
- Rays acquire Cron, trade Odo, and DFA Dickerson on busy Saturday night. February 18, 2018
- Shots on shots, but Bolts drop a tough one to Jersey. February 17, 2018
- Should Dolph Ziggler Have Gone Back to WWE? February 16, 2018