The Pug (Anthony Pugliese) takes a look at the best players in the NFL’s history to wear every number from 0(00) up to 99.
In the first part of a ten part series, The Pug tells you who the best players to put on jersey numbers 0-9 were (or are).
#0: Jim Otto, Center
#NFL Kickoff Countdown:
IT'S TIME…..AT LONG LAST.
— Kevin Gallagher (@KevG163) September 8, 2016
Although Otto wore 00, technically 00 and 0 are the same number so they have been included together. Otto played 15 years at center for the Oakland Raiders from 1960 -1974, not missing a single game and that includes the preseason. He was an all-star in 13 of his 15 seasons, and was named the starting center on the AFL All-Time Team. Otto is also one of only 20 players to participate in every season of the AFL’s existence.
Jim Otto was elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1980, his first year of eligibility.
“Football as a team game demands sacrifice and discipline. You’ve got to think of the guy playing next to you and try to help him. To do that you have to sacrifice.”
– Jim Otto via profootballhof.com
Otto punished his body during his career, resulting in over 70 surgeries and eventually having his leg amputated in 2007. He described his journey in his book Jim Otto: The Pain of Glory, but says that if he could do it again he would do it the same way. Otto is the poster child for toughness that the Raiders have been boasting about since the 1960’s.
Honorable Mention: Ken Burrough
- Owens and Zayn plan to steal WWE Championship at Fastlane February 20, 2018
- Point and Kucherov dazzle as Lightning hold off Capitals in DC February 20, 2018
- Rays send Souza Jr. to D-Backs in three-way trade February 20, 2018
- Buccaneers release Doug Martin February 20, 2018
- Elimination Chamber preview. Gauntlet match! Mr Monday Night! February 20, 2018
- Despite the mood, first full squad workouts were a success February 19, 2018
- Rays acquire Cron, trade Odo, and DFA Dickerson on busy Saturday night. February 18, 2018
- Shots on shots, but Bolts drop a tough one to Jersey. February 17, 2018
- Should Dolph Ziggler Have Gone Back to WWE? February 16, 2018
- Stamkos, Kucherov and Hedman lead Bolts in 11th straight win against Detroit February 15, 2018