New York and Boston are both in the market for help around the infield.
With two members of their roster set to participate in the Home Run Derby on Monday night, the New York Yankees are reportedly looking to acquire another participant from the evening’s festivities.
According to Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald, the Yankees are interested in the services of first baseman Justin Bour. In his fourth year with the Marlins, Bour is having a career-year in Miami.
His left-handed bat would be a huge asset for the Bronx Bombers to have at Yankee Stadium. He heads to the Mid-Summer classic with 20 HR – 57 RBI – and a .286 average.
The Marlins have a history of selling off high-profile players, and they are not afraid to rebuild. However, Bour is under team-control until the 2020 season and at a reasonable price. He has two more seasons of arbitration-eligibility remaining.
The Marlins ownership situation is up-in-the-air and the team projects to lose about $60M this season. With such financial concerns, it would not be surprising to see the Marlins try and shed some payroll.
Several Marlins players under multi-year contracts could have new homes before the trade deadline. The most likely of which would be David Phelps, Martin Prado, or AJ Ramos. It would probably take a king’s ransom for the team to trade fan-favorite Giancarlo Stanton. Plus, Stanton has a no-trade clause.
The Red Sox are in the market for a third baseman and according to USA Today’s Bob Nightengale, Martin Prado is a name that has recently surfaced in trade rumors.
— Bob Nightengale (@BNightengale) July 6, 2017
The Marlins have already parted ways with one starter this season. On June 26th the club traded shortstop Adeiny Hecavarria to the Tampa Bay Rays for two prospects. Looking to stay ahead of the Rays in the AL East, the Red Sox and Yankees may be following their lead.
- NJPW/ROH Honor Rising Results, Trent Baretta Injury Report, Are Impact Wrestlers Behind on Getting Paid and Tommy Dreamer in Lucha Undergound? February 25, 2018
- Bautista might find his way to Tampa February 25, 2018
- Lightning take shootout in Montreal, sweep three-game road trip February 24, 2018
- Rays open the spring 2-0 after split-squad sweep February 23, 2018
- UFC Fight Night Emmett vs Stephens February 23, 2018
- Pirates come to Port Charlotte to kick off exhibition baseball February 23, 2018
- Lightning, Domingue hold on for victory over Senators February 22, 2018
- Column: Drafting The Bucs 2018: LB February 22, 2018
- Dickerson heads to Pirates for RHP Hudson and prospect, Gray February 22, 2018
- REPORT: Carlos Gomez inks one-year deal with Rays February 21, 2018