The impact of Hurricane Harvey will likely force the Astros to play six home games at Tropicana Field?
The Houston Astros have a six-game home stand scheduled to kick-off on Tuesday. Hurricane Harvey has made it impossible for the city of Houston to play host to these games.
Several options have been discussed but it appears that the best course of action is for the Houston Astros to travel to St Petersburg, FL and play six games at Tropicana Field. The Tampa Bay Rays are in Kansas City and Chicago during the same six game stretch so the logistics work from an availability standpoint.
While baseball is truly secondary at this point, the Astros will now embark on a stretch of 19-straight games away from Minute Maid Park.
“At this point our focus is on the safety of our fans, our players and their families and our front office staff and their families,” said in a statement by Astros President of Baseball Operations Reid Ryan. “As we continue to monitor the conditions, we have been in communication with Major League Baseball and the Texas Rangers and will provide an update on Monday.”
Originally reported by Jon Morosi, it is not “official” as of yet. It appears likely that this will be the decision – the Astros will host the Rangers and Mets at Tropicana Field.
— Jon Morosi (@jonmorosi) August 28, 2017
— Jerry Crasnick (@jcrasnick) August 28, 2017
MLB Appreciates Tropicana Field
This is the second time that Tropicana Field has bailed Major League Baseball out of a tough situation. In 2015, the Baltimore Orioles played a “home-game” at Tropicana Field against the Rays. Riots and protests prevented Camden Yards from host duties. It also made for an interestingly “quiet game” when the Orioles and White Sox played in silence.
- REPORT: Carlos Gomez inks one-year deal with Rays February 21, 2018
- Owens and Zayn plan to steal WWE Championship at Fastlane February 20, 2018
- Point and Kucherov dazzle as Lightning hold off Capitals in DC February 20, 2018
- Rays send Souza Jr. to D-Backs in three-way trade February 20, 2018
- Buccaneers release Doug Martin February 20, 2018
- Elimination Chamber preview. Gauntlet match! Mr Monday Night! February 20, 2018
- Despite the mood, first full squad workouts were a success February 19, 2018
- Rays acquire Cron, trade Odo, and DFA Dickerson on busy Saturday night. February 18, 2018
- Shots on shots, but Bolts drop a tough one to Jersey. February 17, 2018
- Should Dolph Ziggler Have Gone Back to WWE? February 16, 2018