On Thursday November 16th, Ben Bishop will make his return to Tampa. Following a trade deadline deal that sent him to Los Angeles, Bishop signed with Dallas in the off-season. This will be his first game in Amalie not wearing a Tampa Bay Lightning sweater.
Ben Bishop came to the Lightning in a trade with the Ottawa Senators in 2013, and at that point no one quite knew how good he could be. When he was traded at the trade deadline last season he left owning a few Lightning records. His 131 wins is almost 50 more than the next closest on this list. The man at number two, Nikolai Khabibulin. The same man who sits at number two behind Bishop for all time goal against average. His 2.28 GAA is eleven points better than Khabibulin’s 2.39 GAA.
You could go on and on about every single record he holds, but you would probably get tired. Number 30 holds almost every single record a Lightning goalie could have.
It will be a bittersweet night for Lightning fans who will no doubt cheer for Bishop as he takes the ice. This is a guy that when pre-game introductions were made for every game, always got the loudest cheer from the fans.
Ben Bishop in familiar net at Amalie Arena Cooper: “There’s no secret how much Ben Bishop meant to this organization” pic.twitter.com/XLoDwWtkSZ
— Joe Smith (@TBTimes_JSmith) November 15, 2017
The former Lightning net-minder found himself in a familiar position this afternoon – the goalie crease at Amalie Arena.
Raise it Up
Bishop was a true diamond in the rough when the Lightning acquired him from Ottawa for Cory Conacher. He was a player that at that time, hadn’t truly been given a chance to shine. When that time came with the Lightning, he shined like a bolt of lightning in the Tampa night sky.
He will always be loved by this city and fan base, no matter what team he plays for. One day, without a shadow of a doubt, number 30 will go into the rafters of Amalie Arena. It’s not a matter of if, it’s just a matter of when.
- Hearts break for “Big Dog” as diagnosis leads to relinquished title. October 23, 2018
- Say Hello, Waive Goodbye: Week 8 October 23, 2018
- Roman Reigns Diagnosed With Leukemia, Takes Leave Of Absence October 22, 2018
- Bolts pick up first road win of the season in record-breaking affair October 21, 2018
- The Buccaneers defense comes up big in a win against the Browns October 21, 2018
- Bolts struggles continue in Minnesota, fall to Wild in OT October 20, 2018
- Amidst International Controversy and Gruesome Injuries the Show Must Go On October 19, 2018
- Stamkos’s first goal, Vasilevskiy’s goaltending lift Lightning over Red Wings October 18, 2018
- Bank On or Bench: Week 7 October 17, 2018
- 19 years in the making. This is Smackdown’s 1000th episode October 17, 2018