Two of the league’s best power play teams took the ice at Amalie Arena on Saturday night. Three periods was not enough.
After victories over the San Jose Sharks, New York Islanders, and Colorado Avalanche on this home stand, the Lightning made it a clean sweep with a 4-3 victory over the Winnipeg Jets.
Quick start for Winnipeg, then Tampa Bay
For the second-straight game the Lightning trailed within the first 90 seconds of action. On the first shot of the night, Jets forward Andrew Copp gave the visitors the 1-0 lead just 1:23 in the game. Winnipeg would tally two more shots on net before the Lightning went on the offensive, recording the game’s next nine shots.
“A lot of speed, especially on that top line. They like to get pucks deep and work down low, so it’s about good gaps and playing physical,” Hedman said of the Jets’ attack.
Yanni Gourde put the Bolts on the board with his ninth goal of the season later in the first. While Gourde is credited with the goal, Brayden Point was the man who set it up. After receiving a pass from Tyler Johnson, Point guided a pass just out of the reach of goaltender Connor Hellebuyck and onto the stick of Gourde who simply redirected the puck into the net.
— NHL (@NHL) December 10, 2017
Paquette misses chance at first goal
Looking for his first goal of the 2017-18 campaign, Cedric Paquette thought he had given the Lightning a 2-1 lead in the second period. While the Tampa Bay bench celebrated the goal, Winnipeg head coach Paul Maurice challenged the goal.
Maurice contested that Chris Kunitz had interfered with Hellebuyck.
Contact was made but it appeared that the interference was initiated by contact from his own mates, not Kunitz. Referees did not see it that way and the goal was overturned.
There is a growing concern around the NHL over what ‘goalie interference’ really is?
Just as NFL fans pose the question, what is pass interference? Or, what is a catch? Hockey fans find themselves asking for clarification on goaltender interference.
Dotchin returns for Tampa Bay
Lightning defenseman Jake Dotchin (undisclosed injury) last appeared in a game on November 18, against the New York Islanders. Playing in his 20th game of the year, Dotchin spent time working with Victor Hedman during pregame warmups.
Entering with two goals and two assists this season Dotchin made his return apparent in the third period by setting up Nikita Kucherov for a game-tying goal. Steven Stamkos picked up the secondary assist, giving him 42 points this season – tops in the NHL.
Well deserved Point(s)
His assist in the first period was nice, but it was Point’s overtime winner that gave the Lightning a four-game sweep of the home stand. It’s the second straight overtime game that Point has sent fans home happy. On November 22, the Lightning were victorious over the Chicago Blackhawks thanks to the 21-year-old center.
After a nifty move to get around Jets center Bryan Little, Point went to the backhand to beat Hellebuyck to his stick side.
— NHL (@NHL) December 10, 2017
- Lightning have scored power-play goals in nine straight games
- Sergachev leads NHL defenseman with seven goals
- 4-game sweep of the home stand is the first such accomplishment since January 15-21, 2016
- Vasilevskiy (3,046) now ranks 4th on Lightning all-time saves list
Three Stars of the Night
1st Star: Brayden Point
2nd Star: Nikolaj Ehlers (WPG)
3rd Star: Mikhail Sergachev
- UFC 220 Miocic vs Ngannou January 20, 2018
- Royal Rumble/NXT Takeover Card, Hulk Hogan & Alberto Del Rio to return!?, Roman Reigns on steroids!?!? January 20, 2018
- Best two teams in the NHL battle for Supremacy. January 18, 2018
- Smackdown Live crowns a new United States Champion January 16, 2018
- Braun Strowman fired!! Summerslam Universal Championship rematch! January 16, 2018
- Rays-ing the question: Who’s on first? January 16, 2018
- Spring Training single game tickets on sale Friday January 15, 2018
- Bobby Lashley Joins the Caravan Exiting Impact Wrestling January 15, 2018
- REPORT: Lightning to place JT Brown on waivers today January 13, 2018
- Paige retiring, Mixed Match Challenge and Royal Rumble updates January 12, 2018