The Tampa Bay Lightning and Arizona Coyotes reached an agreement on Tuesday afternoon. The Coyotes send a depth goaltender to Tampa in return for two players.
Goaltender Louis Domingue, selected in the fifth round of the 2010 NHL Draft, has been acquired by the Lightning in a 3-player deal. In exchange for the back-up goalie, Tampa Bay will send goaltender Michael Leighton and forward Tye McGinn to Arizona.
Domingue, a native of Quebec, has played in seven games this season for the Coyotes, with minimal success. The 6-3, 210-pound backstop has a 4.33 GAA and .856 save percentage while serving as the back-up to Antti Raanta.
During Raanta’s three-week absense (lower-body injury) earlier this season, Domingue failed to record a win. Throughout his career, Domingue has 84 NHL appearances in four years, all with the Coyotes. His 3.00 GAA average during that time suggests that he should improve upon his 2017 numbers.
Leighton caught by surprise when traded to Coyotes
As for the goaltender heading to Arizona, Leighton did not see this coming.
“I was definitely surprised,” Leighton said Tuesday afternoon. “I know things haven’t been going great here. But I didn’t think it would come to this,” Leighton said per Syracuse.com.
Domingue will report to the Syracuse Crunch and replace Leighton as the teams’ No. 1 goalie.
- Which side came out on top in Survivor Series? November 18, 2018
- Crashing The Net: Lightning moving forward after roller coaster of a week November 18, 2018
- NXT Wargames Takes Over the City of Angels November 17, 2018
- Lightning blow lead, escape with two points in Philadelphia track meet November 17, 2018
- Wargames Will Rage and Brands Will Battle to Survive November 16, 2018
- Brayden Point hat trick propels Lightning over the Penguins November 15, 2018
- Dion Lewis: Undervalued Fantasy Football Asset November 15, 2018
- Blake Snell wins the AL Cy Young Award November 14, 2018
- Once captains are no longer. New leaders in charge for Survivor Series. Title match surprise! November 13, 2018
- Kucherov, Lightning stymied by Hutton in road loss to Sabres November 13, 2018