The only head coach, and the late owner led the Tampa Bay Buccaneers to their first Super Bowl title in franchise history in 2002.
Malcolm Glazer and Jon Gruden to be Inducted into Buccaneers Ring of Honor!
— Tampa Bay Buccaneers (@TBBuccaneers) May 30, 2017
Malcolm Glazer will forever go down as the man who authorized trading for the then Oakland Head Coach. It was a move that nearly a year later would pay off as both men hoisted the Lombardi Trophy in San Diego following Super Bowl 37.
“As we approach the 15th anniversary of our Super Bowl victory, it seemed a fitting time to acknowledge our father and Jon Gruden for the immense impact they had on our fans and the entire Tampa Bay community,”
Buccaneers Co-Chairman Ed Glazer
Gruden didn’t have the greatest record as head coach of the Buccaneers (57-55). After losing the final four games in 2008. At the end of the season the team had seen enough and felt it was time to part ways with the coach. Regardless of how he left Gruden guided a Bucs team that went 9-7 a year earlier. Malcolm Glazer paid a kings ransom for Gruden (Two 1st round picks, Two 2nd round picks and cash) for the coach he hoped would bring the Bucs where they hadn’t been before. The former Bucs coach had nothing but kind words when asked about Glazer.
“I want to extend my sincere appreciation to the Buccaneer organization, and the Glazer family in particular, for the tremendous honor of entering the Ring of Honor along with Mr. Glazer,”
One way or another both men will forever be tied together in the annals of Bucs history.
Malcolm Glazers induction will take place October 5th as the Bucs take on the Super Bowl Champion New England Patriots. Coach Gruden will be inducted December 18th when the Bucs take on the Atlanta Falcons.
Glazer and Gruden will join Lee Roy Selmon, John McKay, Jimmie Giles, Paul Gruber, Warren Sapp, Derrick Brooks, Mike Alstott, Doug Williams and John Lynch. Glazer will be the 10th man inducted while Gruden will be the 11th and only the second Bucs coach to be inducted.
- Rays acquire Cron, trade Odo, and DFA Dickerson on busy Saturday night. February 18, 2018
- Shots on shots, but Bolts drop a tough one to Jersey. February 17, 2018
- Should Dolph Ziggler Have Gone Back to WWE? February 16, 2018
- Stamkos, Kucherov and Hedman lead Bolts in 11th straight win against Detroit February 15, 2018
- Rays announce ticket specials for 2018 season February 15, 2018
- 2017 Bucs: The good, bad and ugly February 15, 2018
- Column: Drafting The Bucs 2018: TE February 14, 2018
- New faces, young guns shine as workouts begin in Port Charlotte. February 14, 2018
- Superstars are added to WWE Championship match at Fastlane February 13, 2018
- Lightning’s special teams not so special in loss to Sabres February 13, 2018