The Tampa Bay Buccaneers announced Monday that they’ve picked up Mike Evans’ fifth-year option on his contract.
Mike Evans, who is entering his fourth season in the NFL, is amongst the best receivers in all of football, according to Pro Football Focus, he was rated the 12th best player in the NFL. Now he’s going to be in red and pewter for at least two more seasons after GM Jason Licht announced that the team exercised the receiver’s fifth-year option on his contract.
— Pro Football Focus (@PFF) February 9, 2017
Mike Evans is set to make $2,415,205 in 2017 according to Spotrac.com.
Now, this move buys the team time to collectively work on building a contract extension for Evans in the very near future. Picking up the option also gives Tampa Bay flexibility while constructing other contracts.
The 23-year old will be entering his fourth NFL season and the ceiling for Evans looks as high as the sky after seeing his development in 2016. He achieved yet another 1,000-yard season, his third in a row, and caught 12 touchdowns. His recent success is another reason the Bucs decided to excersize the fifth-year option on his contract, so that they’d get more value during the fifth year on the contract.
Now the teams next move is to extend the Texas A&M alum’s contract after year five of Evans’ career. He’ll be asking for elite receiver money and if the Bucs don’t, someone will.
- Disappointing ending should mean fine-tuning, not major changes for Bolts May 26, 2018
- Rays send Colome, Span to Mariners May 25, 2018
- Despite the Rays’ record, Snell finding success at home May 24, 2018
- Holtby’s second straight shutout ends Lightning’s season in Game 7 May 24, 2018
- Price outduels Archer as Rays drop second straight to Sox May 23, 2018
- Nakamura reveals Money in the Bank match stipulation May 22, 2018
- Ronda Rousey and Nia Jax contract signing. Women’s MITB qualifing match. A Demon vs a Monster May 22, 2018
- Holtby and the Capitals shutout Lightning to force Game 7 May 21, 2018
- Have the Rays turned a corner at the right time? May 21, 2018
- Unlikely contributors have Lightning on brink of Stanley Cup Finals May 20, 2018