The Tampa Bay Buccaneers announced Monday that they’ve picked up Mike Evans’ fifth-year option on his contract.
Mike Evans, who is entering his fourth season in the NFL, is amongst the best receivers in all of football, according to Pro Football Focus, he was rated the 12th best player in the NFL. Now he’s going to be in red and pewter for at least two more seasons after GM Jason Licht announced that the team exercised the receiver’s fifth-year option on his contract.
— Pro Football Focus (@PFF) February 9, 2017
Mike Evans is set to make $2,415,205 in 2017 according to Spotrac.com.
Now, this move buys the team time to collectively work on building a contract extension for Evans in the very near future. Picking up the option also gives Tampa Bay flexibility while constructing other contracts.
The 23-year old will be entering his fourth NFL season and the ceiling for Evans looks as high as the sky after seeing his development in 2016. He achieved yet another 1,000-yard season, his third in a row, and caught 12 touchdowns. His recent success is another reason the Bucs decided to excersize the fifth-year option on his contract, so that they’d get more value during the fifth year on the contract.
Now the teams next move is to extend the Texas A&M alum’s contract after year five of Evans’ career. He’ll be asking for elite receiver money and if the Bucs don’t, someone will.
- REPORT: Carlos Gomez inks one-year deal with Rays February 21, 2018
- Owens and Zayn plan to steal WWE Championship at Fastlane February 20, 2018
- Point and Kucherov dazzle as Lightning hold off Capitals in DC February 20, 2018
- Rays send Souza Jr. to D-Backs in three-way trade February 20, 2018
- Buccaneers release Doug Martin February 20, 2018
- Elimination Chamber preview. Gauntlet match! Mr Monday Night! February 20, 2018
- Despite the mood, first full squad workouts were a success February 19, 2018
- Rays acquire Cron, trade Odo, and DFA Dickerson on busy Saturday night. February 18, 2018
- Shots on shots, but Bolts drop a tough one to Jersey. February 17, 2018
- Should Dolph Ziggler Have Gone Back to WWE? February 16, 2018