Jason Licht has been an active GM on draft day in the past, could this year see more moves?
Recently Adam Schefter reported the Tampa Bay Buccaneers were discussing trading down in the 2017 NFL Draft. The NFL insider even said the Buccaneers could trade completely out of the first round.
Buccaneers are talking with at least three teams about moving back in 1st round, and maybe even out of first round altogether, per source.
— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) April 26, 2017
Heading into round one of the NFL Draft, Thursday night the Bucs have been tied to a number of players. Some national mock drafts have had the Buccaneers taking David Njoku, Dalvin Cook or Christian McCaffrey. Could a move out of the first round benefit the rising franchise?
Even our own insider The Pug said he foresaw the Bucs going with McCaffrey in Round One.
Other players have come to One Buc Place for private visits, and maybe Jason Licht and company think they can get the player they want in the second round. Joe Mixon is one player the Bucs brought in, but only one insider on NFL.com has him going in the first round. Another player Tampa Bay area fans should be familiar with, Marlon Mack came in for a private visit.
With Doug Martin coming back from a stint in rehab, one has to wonder should the Bucs go running back in the early rounds. Add in they were pegged to take Njoku following a season in which Cameron Brate really stepped into his own as a starting tight end in the NFL.
This is one of the few drafts where there is not a clear cut pick for the Buccaneers. In years past the Bucs never tipped their hand. It seems they have always came away with a guy Bucs fans figured they would. Last year the Bucs moved back two spots in the first round. They were still able to get the guy they wanted (Vernon Hargreaves) while getting a fourth round pick.
With that fourth round pick and the teams third round pick the Bucs were able to trade with Kansas City to grab kicker Roberto Aguayo. This pick is still heavily criticized, especially with how Aguayo performed during the 2016 season.
One has to wonder what magic Jason Licht will use to move up or move down. One thing is for sure he has built a contender in Tampa Bay. Not every general manager will hit on every draft pick, but Licht has hit on quite a few.
- Paul Heyman sets a date. Battle for number one contention. Ronda Rousey anger issues. July 17, 2018
- “Second half” story lines to keep an eye on July 16, 2018
- No one was safe in Extreme Rules July 16, 2018
- Blake Snell will join Cash, Ramos in D.C. after all July 13, 2018
- A Moderately Extreme PPV is Set for this Weekend July 13, 2018
- Adames sent down ahead of All Star break, Rays recall Hu July 12, 2018
- Rays keep rollin’ with sweep of Tigers July 11, 2018
- Extreme Rules promises compelling Smackdown Live matches July 10, 2018
- Rays unveil new ballpark design for Ybor City site July 10, 2018
- BREAKING: Kucherov signs eight-year extension July 10, 2018