The clock is steadily ticking down and the 2016 Draft is fast approaching. But have no fear, the Big Cali Bear is throwing out his top five picks the Bucs should consider picking up. Rounding out number four we have…
#4 Soma Vainuku, FB, USC
Let’s be honest, the fullback position has sort of fizzled out over the last few years; its surprising that they still have the position on Pro Bowl rosters. It’s amazing that the fullback hasn’t went extinct with the dinosaurs. However, there are some clubs that still utilize the big boys in the backfield like the Packers, and John Kuhn remains one of the team’s popular players (not to mention a Pro Bowl mainstay). The Buccaneers haven’t had a dominant fullback since the days of Mike Alstott. They have had success in the run game, don’t get me wrong, but there’s no such thing as having extra security for both the Jameis Winston and Doug Martin.
That’s where Soma Vainuku comes in. This guy is as versatile as they come when it comes to contributing on the field. Mind you his stats during his senior year were practically invisible (two carries, four yards, one TD). However, given the system that he was in, he opened up a lot of holes for backs such as Tre Madden. Also, he was quite the force on special teams, recording 25 tackles and three blocked punts, one of which resulted in a score.
At the combine, Soma clocked a 4.68 40 time, so speed shouldn’t be a problem for his size. And with his strength (26 reps on the 225 lb bench press), I could definitely see him clearing the path for Doug Martin. Don’t forget that the Bucs do need as much help as possible in the special teams, and Vainuku could bolster the cover and return units. Again, its crazy to consider picking up a fullback in the draft these days. But sometimes its good to go against the norm, and Tampa Bay might want to consider Vainuku late in the draft.
- Hearts break for “Big Dog” as diagnosis leads to relinquished title. October 23, 2018
- Say Hello, Waive Goodbye: Week 8 October 23, 2018
- Roman Reigns Diagnosed With Leukemia, Takes Leave Of Absence October 22, 2018
- Bolts pick up first road win of the season in record-breaking affair October 21, 2018
- The Buccaneers defense comes up big in a win against the Browns October 21, 2018
- Bolts struggles continue in Minnesota, fall to Wild in OT October 20, 2018
- Amidst International Controversy and Gruesome Injuries the Show Must Go On October 19, 2018
- Stamkos’s first goal, Vasilevskiy’s goaltending lift Lightning over Red Wings October 18, 2018
- Bank On or Bench: Week 7 October 17, 2018
- 19 years in the making. This is Smackdown’s 1000th episode October 17, 2018