Tampa Bay Rays keep busy on their day off.
The Rays added some depth to the roster by acquiring INF/OF Michael Martinez from the Indians on Thursday. In exchange for the 34-year-old utility-man, the Rays will send a PTBNL or cash.
Second baseman Brad Miller (abdominal strain) has been placed on the 10-day DL, retro-active to May 16. He will be eligible to return to action next weekend when the team travels to Minnesota.
Rays broadcaster, Neil Solondz explained the day’s transaction.
#Rays have acquired UTIL Michael Martinez for PTBNL or cash from CLE, placed Brad Miller on DL retro to 5/16 with left abominal strain
— Neil Solondz (@neilsolondz) May 18, 2017
In order to make room on the 40-man roster the Rays transferred left-handed relief pitcher Xavier Cedeno (forearm) from the 10-day to the 60-day DL. The move gives Tampa Bay versatility on the field. Martinez has played parts of seven big-league seasons with the Phillies, Pirates, Indians, and Red Sox. He has seen time all over the diamond. In fact, he has played every position at the major-league level except for catcher and first base.
Yes, he even saw time on the mound.
In 15 games this season, Martinez has put up a .364/.462/.455 slash-line. This marks the fifth different team that Martinez has played for in as many years.
What You Didn’t Know
Friday night Martinez hopes to do something that he has never done in his career – enter the batters box at Tropicana Field. It is the only stadium that he is yet to recorded a plate-appearance.
- Smackdown Live crowns a new United States Champion January 16, 2018
- Braun Strowman fired!! Summerslam Universal Championship rematch! January 16, 2018
- Rays-ing the question: Who’s on first? January 16, 2018
- Spring Training single game tickets on sale Friday January 15, 2018
- Bobby Lashley Joins the Caravan Exiting Impact Wrestling January 15, 2018
- REPORT: Lightning to place JT Brown on waivers today January 13, 2018
- Paige retiring, Mixed Match Challenge and Royal Rumble updates January 12, 2018
- Hedman will miss 3-6 weeks with lower-body injury January 12, 2018
- Rays agree to terms with seven arbitration-eligible players January 12, 2018
- Lightning smoked by Flames, lose All-Star to injury January 12, 2018