Tampa Bay Rays keep busy on their day off.
The Rays added some depth to the roster by acquiring INF/OF Michael Martinez from the Indians on Thursday. In exchange for the 34-year-old utility-man, the Rays will send a PTBNL or cash.
Second baseman Brad Miller (abdominal strain) has been placed on the 10-day DL, retro-active to May 16. He will be eligible to return to action next weekend when the team travels to Minnesota.
Rays broadcaster, Neil Solondz explained the day’s transaction.
#Rays have acquired UTIL Michael Martinez for PTBNL or cash from CLE, placed Brad Miller on DL retro to 5/16 with left abominal strain
— Neil Solondz (@neilsolondz) May 18, 2017
In order to make room on the 40-man roster the Rays transferred left-handed relief pitcher Xavier Cedeno (forearm) from the 10-day to the 60-day DL. The move gives Tampa Bay versatility on the field. Martinez has played parts of seven big-league seasons with the Phillies, Pirates, Indians, and Red Sox. He has seen time all over the diamond. In fact, he has played every position at the major-league level except for catcher and first base.
Yes, he even saw time on the mound.
In 15 games this season, Martinez has put up a .364/.462/.455 slash-line. This marks the fifth different team that Martinez has played for in as many years.
What You Didn’t Know
Friday night Martinez hopes to do something that he has never done in his career – enter the batters box at Tropicana Field. It is the only stadium that he is yet to recorded a plate-appearance.
- NFL’s Best Players To Wear Each Number: Part 1 # 0-9 May 27, 2017
- Stanley Cup Final Preview: Predators vs. Penguins May 27, 2017
- Lucha Underground Returns This Wednesday; Here Is Your Season Three Recap May 27, 2017
- UFC Fight Night Stockholm Gustafsson vs Teixeira May 26, 2017
- Around The NHL: The Stanley Cup Final Is Set! May 26, 2017
- Doug Martin: Better Physically And Mentally After Rehab May 26, 2017
- Possible Blue Line Options For The Vegas Golden Knights May 26, 2017