Hip injury suffered in Thursday night’s win proves to be severe.
ST. PETERSBURG, FL – During Thursday night’s win over the White Sox, Kevin Kiermaier slid into first base in the fifth inning and was immediately in pain. Just after noon today, the bad news came down on the severity of his injury.
— Marc Topkin (@TBTimes_Rays) June 9, 2017
Kiermaier, as he has been known for his entire career, was just trying to be aggressive and disrupt the Chicago defense.
“”You always see bad things happen when people slide into first base, but I’m just trying to keep the inning alive.” Kiermaier said Thursday night while on crutches in the clubhouse.
No one can fault the reigning two-time Gold Glove centerfielder for his hustle. However the decision to slide into first, a rare risk by any hitter, has now sidelined him for at least two months.
Mallex Smith was called up to take Kiermaier’s place on the roster.
“The Outlaw” was heating up.
The injury comes at a time when Kiermaier’s bat was finally coming around. In the last 27 games, he’s hitting .317 with six home runs and a .937 OPS.
Smith was hitting .309 in 32 games at AAA Durham before his call up today. In nine games with the Rays this season, he is hitting .261 with a .346 on-base and 3-for-3 as a base stealer.
Rays manager, Kevin Cash, was on MLB Network Radio after the news broke.
— MLB Network Radio (@MLBNetworkRadio) June 9, 2017
The Oakland Athletics come to town tonight to begin a brutal four game series with the Rays. All four games will be played over the weekend with a double-header tomorrow.
- Smackdown Live crowns a new United States Champion January 16, 2018
- Braun Strowman fired!! Summerslam Universal Championship rematch! January 16, 2018
- Rays-ing the question: Who’s on first? January 16, 2018
- Spring Training single game tickets on sale Friday January 15, 2018
- Bobby Lashley Joins the Caravan Exiting Impact Wrestling January 15, 2018
- REPORT: Lightning to place JT Brown on waivers today January 13, 2018
- Paige retiring, Mixed Match Challenge and Royal Rumble updates January 12, 2018
- Hedman will miss 3-6 weeks with lower-body injury January 12, 2018
- Rays agree to terms with seven arbitration-eligible players January 12, 2018
- Lightning smoked by Flames, lose All-Star to injury January 12, 2018